Saturday, March 21, 2009

Crisis Averted?

So yesterday Grace and I went to school so she could meet everyone on staff- it was a staff development day, so there were no kids. The daycare where I registered is on the way (My school is about 50 minutes away, and the daycare is 30 minutes from my house, so I hadn't taken Grace there yet.) So, I wanted her to meet the two ladies who work in the infant room and make sure I had everything lined up for next Monday. This place was recommended by a friend as an okay place to take Grace- temporarily. So I walk in, to see all the babies in their cribs. There are cribs lining the walls, and in just about each of them was a crying baby. One of the workers was eating lunch, and the other was doing something else. They were both standing by the counter, together. Meanwhile, the room is full of screaming babies. The one lady I met before now no longer works there and there is a new girl. The other lady started talking to me. Meanwhile, the babies are all still crying at once. Neither of them went to soothe any of them, pick them up, etc. I was there for about 10-15 minutes. Another girl who works in the Toddler room came in and picked up the one little girl who wasn't crying! I keep thinking about this one little girl standing in her crib with tears running down her face. The crying was so loud, I could hardly hear what the woman was telling me. Then, she has the nerve to say, "oh, all the babies just woke up from their naps." Please, children do not all nap at the same time. Plus, last time I was there, there were only about 5 babies. There were about 10 yesterday. 10 babies and 2 adults. The math just doesn't work out. So I left in a mess and was completely upset. I do not want to leave Grace somewhere where she will be left to scream her head off. I understand she will not get the one-on-one attention I would give her all the time, but I certainly expect more interaction than I saw yesterday. My mommy-instinct was completely kicking in, and I do not have a good feeling about that place. I mean, this is my child! She deserves the BEST- and this time is so important as far as her development goes. She needs interaction, play, reading, etc!

So, here we are, a week away from me going back to school, and there is no one to keep Grace. One of my friends knows another teacher who has an older lady come to her house to watch her 6 month old(she lives on the street next to my school.) So, she is calling this woman to see if she will be willing to take Grace just until the end of school. It's either that, or my father-in-law (who is retiring) will have to come live with us for 8 weeks to keep her. Ugh. Talk about stress! I'm just hoping this is an answer to prayer...Hopefully we'll hear something today. BUT I am glad to have this out BEFORE I dropped her off and left her there all day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! I am glad you found out now and I would not leave Grace there either. We will pray you find just the right person to watch her for the few short weeks until you are done!

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh, I would have left so fast there would have been dust floating in the air behind me! I'm glad you discovered that happening before having to leave Grace there. Wow. Hopefully things will work out for you guys. If I lived closer, I would be more than happy to watch her. =)

Kendra White said...

oh girl i got sweaty nightmares just thinking about it... i pray something works out.... i know it will!

Whitney (for the rest of the Shouses) said...

I'm so glad you saw it before you left her there...it's so hard to have to leave them anyway but in a place like that would be awful!